i had a few ideas for her room and thought it would be fun for her to work on them too... nothing sucks worse than being in the hospital for even a day or a few days and i can't imagine 10 weeks of it... i needed to come up with something that was easy to do (especially for someone that doesn't normally craft), and could be done while lying down.... i had lots of left over embroidery hoops from my veneer pendant light diy as well as my clothespin starburst wall art and i saw these fabulous brightly colored ball ornaments at the 99 cent only store and knew just what we needed to do with them that would be perfect to jazz up the otherwise lame hospital room! the fab bright colors they came in (pink, bright blue, fuchsia, bright green and metallic gold and silver) were amazing!
we covered her bed with a plastic tablecloth before we started in order to protect her sheets from what was sure to be an explosion of glitter from the sparkly ornaments and we blew through a day having a good ol' time making these fab wreaths! and they are so easy to make you really CAN make them while lying in bed (my friend isn't allowed to sit up)!! and here's how we did it! warning: be prepared to be sparkly for the next few days because the wonderful glitter from all those ornaments will stick with ya for a bit!
- embroidery hoops
- colorful ball christmas ornaments in varying sizes (i shopped around and the ones at the 99 cent store were the best deal for a tube of 8 - 10 for 99 cents!)
- thin wire
- wire cutters
- thread a few ornaments onto a piece of wire (we did 3 to 4 ornaments per piece of wire and you are threading your ornaments through the do-dad on the end of them that hangs them on the tree).
- wrap the wire with the ornaments around the embroidery hoop and twist the wire closed so that it is securely fastened. then trim the wire
- repeat the process until the embroidery hoop is covered (we used approximately 60 ornaments for the wreath in the pic at the top of this post!)
- ooh and ahh and brag to all your friends about the fab piece you created!
the cool thing about doing it this way is no messy glue gun.... and you aren't committed to placement on the hoop because you can always shift the wire rows a bit to get the color placement you want when you are finished!
oh, and i had to cover the not so fab hospital room standard artwork with tinsel garland as well as the clock.... and even a little tinsel wreath for the tv... and a little photo collage of her and the hubby and pretty outdoor shots... basically, everything that is in my friend's view while laying in her hospital bed is a bit prettier. we didn't worry about balancing out the room because what matters most is what she can see and enjoy from her bed! and the best result of the project is that word has spread around the nurses' station and she has been getting lots of visitors that want to check her room out. yay! so much better than the before photo don't you think??
until next time...
the (formerly almost) 40 year old intern